Friday, November 8, 2013

Single or Double Treadle Spinning Wheel

When I started spinning, I thought I'd do better with a double treadle spinning wheel. More like riding a bike and seemed more intuitive I thought. Well, I adore my double treadle spinning wheels but there is a certain freedom that I have found in a single treadle.

At a double treadle, I have to face the wheel; I'm tied to it in a way. Getting a good long draw for woolen spinning feels awkward to me at a DT.  Enter the single treadle.  I can angle my chair so that it is easy to get that good arm extension for long draw spinning while the rest of me stays put. And for some reason, the ST just feels more relaxing. I don't feel as though I am sitting at a desk as I do sometimes with my other wheels.


Most of the wheels commercially available these days are double treadles* so I bet there are lots of folks who haven't ever gotten to spin on a single treadle.  Find one and try it; you might be pleasantly surprised.

*The current issue of "Spinning Daily" has a great chart that lists all the wheels out there and their various attributes.

http://www.interweavestore.com/spin-off-fall-2013

No comments:

Post a Comment