Thursday, November 14, 2013

And now, for some handspun yarn.....

Okay, I think it is time for a little yarn! Yesterday, I straightened the house and picked up the detritus. I can't work when there is a mess and I have my first ever student coming over today for spinning lessons.  More than one good reason to clean.



Here is some kettle dyed alpaca from my friend Kate's farm (Great Rock Alpacas) I know this alpaca personally; his name is Ironman and he has wonderful fleece.





Initially, I was going hand card the fiber but carding  muddied the colors more than I liked.



So, I  hand picked the fiber (just pick it up and pull the locks apart; after picking on the right) and spin from the cloud of alpaca.  I think a fuzzy, shaggy, slubby yarn will show off the colors and the natural sheen of the fiber. Also, alpaca spun this way kind of helps fill in the gaps around stitches and makes for a denser appearing fabric. 





                                                                  
                                                 Here is the yarn on the bobbin.
     


 Then on the yarn winder.




                                                         And drying in the window.





What would I make with this handspun yarn? Well, there is enough for a hat or cowl or scarf (140 yards of bulky weight) and the yarn is next to the skin soft.  I might use it as weaving weft or perhaps use some for the cuff and collar on a sweater.  It would make a wonderful edging for a baby blanket too.  It will knit up into a tweedy looking fabric.  I know it will go to someone who knows exactly what to make.



No comments:

Post a Comment