Friday, November 8, 2013

Alpaca

I adore alpaca; both the fiber and the animal. Talk about cute!!!! I often
think that they look as though someone sat down with a smile and drew a make believe creature.  The fiber is a total wow;  luscious and luxurious in loads of natural colors.

Several months ago, I was running low on alpaca so I did a little Internet research for an alpaca farm near my home. I found a farm named "Great Rock Alpacas" and gave them a call. The owner, Kate, told me a little about her farm and invited me out to visit.

http://www.greatrockalpacas.com/about.asp

Here are a few of this year's babies:



She and her husband, Jack, have a beautiful place. There really is a great (BIG) rock and there are alpaca everywhere, a few chickens that follow Kate around like puppy dogs and an adorable dog or two. Kate is a spinner so she knows what kind of fleece will make a spinner happy. She had pulled a wonderful brown few pounds of fleece just for me. It is wonderful


Of course, the more fiber the better and I was back to see Kate within a week of two for some more alpaca. Look at the staple and the crimp:




So, I made some great friends and found a source for superior alpaca fiber. Kate always has a great fleece selection so do look her up when you need some fiber or even when you need an alpaca or two of your very own.

My handspun, kettle dyed 100% alpaca yarn.

No comments:

Post a Comment