Friday, February 21, 2014

Spinning a textured batt

Ever wonder what those wonderful batts look like as yarn? Here's a photo of the batts before spinning:




I carded all those batts; the ones on the right are made from some scraps of wool left from other projects and some sari silk threads for texture.  There were three batts, each weighing around an ounce. I split each one down the middle so that I had two fairly equal piles of wool to spin. Two singles and a little plying later: 



I have a pretty 2 ply, bulky and textured yarn. This is a pretty straight forward method of spinning a batt and I'm pleased with the result. There are many other options; I could have spun a worsted weight and Navajo plied or a thick and thin single and made some coils or..............

No comments:

Post a Comment