Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Dyeing Fiber in Mason Jars: Oven technique

I was reading an article the other day about sun dyeing wool in Mason jars and I wondered whether or not I could use the oven to get a lot of colors done quickly. About the same time, the Greener Shades (dyes) forum on Ravelry was doing a dye along using alternative heating techniques, one of which was using canning jars on the stove. (http://www.ravelry.com/discuss/greener-shades-dyes/2831339/1-25) I decided to give the canning jars a try.

Because I like to use my drum carder to blend various fibers and colors into batts, I decided to add different fibers to each jar. I added Border Leicester locks, some combed Merino and some commercial white roving to each jar along with a glug of white vinegar and cold water. The fiber soaked for about an hour, and I added more water occasionally as the wool absorbed the water.

After soaking, I poured out the water and added some dye to each jar directly on top of the wool. Then, I quickly added a glug of vinegar and topped off each jar with hot tap water. I sealed each jar and turned them upside down and shook them around until there was dye throughout each jar.

I used a water bath (bain marie) in an aluminum roasting pan and let the jars "bake" for about 90 minutes at 220 degrees F.  


Here are the jars fresh out of the oven and below is the finished fiber, waiting for the spin cycle. I'll use this method again; it was super easy and mess free.

No comments:

Post a Comment