Monday, January 27, 2014

New Wool Combs


It is nice to get back into doing fiber stuff and with all the comings and goings of the last weeks, I haven't had a chance to post a picture the wool combs that my darlin' husband gave me for Christmas. Today, I am combing the last of some pretty gray Romney.  I have just a little of this fleece left and I'm finding a lot of burned and crunchy tips from what looks to be sun damage (bottom of the pic). The wool at the top of the pic is combed wool, wrapped into a little bird's nest and ready for spinning.




I could cut the burned areas off with scissors and card the remaining but I think I'll just compost the what is left. The combs are from Valkyrie and I can see why folks have a number of sets. These are single pitch mini combs(one row of tines) and they work well for this fleece with a long (5 to 6 inch) staple and little or no VM. So, next occasion I am going to ask for some double pitch, or greater, combs and I'll keep an eye out for a used set in the interim. Combing is fun and combed wool is a joy to spin. In fact, the only way to get a true worsted yarn is with a combed preparation. I need practice with both combing and carding but I am sure enjoying learning.

No comments:

Post a Comment