Sunday, January 26, 2014

Happy Day! New Drum Carder

It was a sad day when I sold my Ashford Wild drum carder. The buyer is a weaver and a felter and I know she'll take good care of it. So, time for a new carder. I knew I had to have a full size (at least) motorized carder.  I did a ton of lurking around Ravelry, research and read scads of reviews before deciding on a @Fancy Kitty Kitten.   Selecting the brand was pretty easy. Fancy Kitty has a good reputation and has been around for a while and people seem to rave about them. The price was a huge factor too; you can get a full size, motorized carder for under $1000.00. Then, the biggest decision was selecting the carding cloth.

At the moment, the fleece that I have on hand includes: alpaca, Finnsheep, Romney x Icelandic, Merino, Corriedale, and Romney. There is also the silk, bamboo and etc., etc. I really do enjoy spinning all types of fiber. So, more research  led me to opt for their 72/90 medium cloth so that I can get a smooth batt by running the fiber through a time or two and still card the coarser stuff.


The carder arrived in three days in a HUGE box. You should have seen the packing; I was really impressed at how securely the thing was packed.    

A charming note signed Lamar's son, Chad was inside the box, awwwww . Within about 30 minutes after the box arrived, I'd carded two pretty batts using some very sad mill ends. It was easy to use and the speed adjustment and reverse features are great. I am so proud of the thing I just can't tell you! It feels really solid and is finished nicely. Guess what I'll be doing this afternoon????







No comments:

Post a Comment