Thursday, August 14, 2014

Am I Alone?

Cadorette CPW treadle
Just kidding. I know that I'm not alone but, at least in my circle, I'm the only one that prefers a single treadle spinning wheel. Someone even asked me why I had "downgraded" to a single treadle! I learned to spin on an Ashford Kiwi, a castle style double treadle.  My dream wheel from the beginning was a Schacht Reeves 30 inch wheel.  After spinning on the Kiwi for a couple of years, I bought an Aura(another double treadle and perfect for spinning bulky yarns)  because most of the yarn that sold in my Etsy shop was art yarn, I finally decided that I needed to take the plunge with a single treadle Saxony because I couldn't stop thinking about owning one. I imagined that a single treadle would be way more comfortable for me. 

I bought a Country Craftsman wheel and fell in love. I was able sit more comfortably and spin for much longer. Long draw spinning became so much easier.  I kept the CC for about a year and finally ordered the SR with a single treadle. The Schacht- Reeves is magical; I had an emotional attachment to it immediately (I know, I know...it is a thing). Now I have a lovely Cadorette CPW too.  It has all worked out well;I use the Aura, the SR and the CPW most days and like/use each for different reasons. 

In summary, if you like the idea of a single treadle, seek one out and try it. You may find, as I did that a single treadle is your preferred method of spinning. If you do, there's a bonus.....you'll spend a lot less money!

No comments:

Post a Comment